Martels is an independent, family run funeral business, and is a member of the National Association of Funeral Directors. We are proud of the personal service and facilities we can offer to the bereaved and their families at times of grief and distress.
We have a purpose-built "Funeral Home" in Guernsey, incorporating the latest mortuary facilities. The reception and private interview room are furnished more like one's home rather than an office, providing a more homely atmosphere in which to make funeral arrangements or to sit quietly before viewing the deceased in the Chapel of Rest.
This website provides an overview of our services:
- To learn more about the history of Martels, please visit the 'About us' section. Our contact details and a map showing our location is held at our 'Contact us' section.
- To find out what arrangements will need to be made in the event of death, please visit the 'Making funeral arrangements' section.
- The 'Other Services' section provides information on the coffins, urns, memorials and flowers we provide, and also has information and photographs of our Chapel of Rest.
- The 'Useful Information' section provides some guidance for the bereaved on who to inform in the event of death, further information on deaths which occur overseas, and provides some information on post-mortems and inquests.
- If you are visiting this website to find out more information on pre-planning a funeral, please visit the 'Pre-Planning Funerals' section.
Death is nothing at all
I have only slipped away into the next room
I am I, and you are you
Whatever we were to each other
That we are still
Call me by my old familiar name
Speak to me in the easy way you always used
Put no difference into your tone
Wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow
Laugh as we always laughed
At the little jokes we always enjoyed together
Play, smile, think of me, pray for me
Let my name be ever the household word that it always was
Let it be spoken without effect
Without the ghost of a shadow on it
Life means all that it ever meant
It is the same as it ever was
There is absolute unbroken continuity
Why should I be out of mind
Because I am out of sight?
I am just waiting for you for an interval
Somewhere very near
Just around the corner
All is well.
Canon Henry Scott-Holland, 1847-1918, Canon of St Paul's Cathedral